- It doesn’t require a continuous water supply or a draining line, and provides large volumes of ice in short intervals.
- Cost-efficient; it can produce between 26 to 35 pounds of ice within 24 hours.
- High storage capacity; most portable ice makers have enough space for 2 to 3 pounds of ice.
- Easy to use and can produce ice in a wide variety of shapes.
- Unlike traditional freezers and refrigerators, they can only store a limited quantity of ice.
- Ice they produce begins melting as soon as it is in the ice basket.
- Requires manual refilling whenever the water supply runs low.
- Vulnerable to external temperatures; placing them in direct sunlight or near high heat might slow them down,
What should I look for when choosing a Countertop Ice Packer?
A countertop ice packer lets you make ice without taking up more space in your freezer by sitting on your kitchen counter. If you are thinking about purchasing countertop ice packer, these are the features you should look for:
Size and Capacity
First thing first, check the size and capacity of the models you are looking at. Since they are portable, they generally take up little counter space. However, some models require more space than others.
If you think that you will need ice on a regular basis, choose an ice packer that can keep up with your demands. Some models can produce as much as 35 pounds of ice in a 24-hour period. However, keep in mind that such models also tend to be bigger and heavier.
While they are generally quite affordable, you certainly get what you pay for. Find a model that is not only affordable for you, but will also last you for a long time. Choose a model that is durable and will not break even with frequent use.
If interior design and aesthetics matter to you, choose a model that will look good sitting on your countertop. These appliances are available in a wide range of colors and designs, so you can find one that will complement your kitchen design and personal tastes.
Some models will have more intuitive features, such as an indicator that will let you know when the ice machine is full, or a smart water use feature which allows the machine to reuse the unused ice in the ice basket. Other possible features include an ice size selection, an automatic timer, and self-cleaning capabilities.